Monday, July 11, 2016

Welcome!!


WELCOME TO THE HAND-HELD WORLD!


Sherri Gamble here! I wanted to take a moment to say hello and introduce myself. Coming from both a computers and construction background, I love all things tactile and physical. Before I fell in love with plaster, I had a previous career working at Microsoft as a Program Manager. I really enjoyed interfacing with clients and driving projects, but my nighttime love for decorative painting and plaster came to bloom. It's amazing how picking up one tool can change your life!

I started my plaster company Sage Artistry, llc in 2006. I have covered a lot of square footage over this challenging and rewarding journey. I mostly work in Seattle, but have installed plaster finishes for other out of state projects. Plastering spaces gives a sense of spreading the beauty of the hand over the earth. I especially enjoy using earth-based plasters in my work. Clay, lime, an marble all have such amazing properties to them. The intersection of materials, science, and art is intriguing.



 
So here I am, 16 years later, loving the leap into the physical world of art-making. I still really enjoy working with clients to guide their dreams forward to a complete vision. It's exciting to work with construction teams and see buildings develop...watching a slab get poured, then the "bones" of a space created, next...the "skin"...down to the very last hand.






"Hand-Held" originated from a residency I did in 2014 at VALA in Redmond, WA. To probe into the impact of technology and touch, the community was invited to cast their hands in wax and plaster. It was amazing to see everyone so fascinated with the process! They all left with a little grit on them, a bit further from the slickness of our society.
 
  
 



Marks made by the human hand are becoming more scarce these days, so it is time to celebrate the power of touch. What are some of the ways you enjoy using your hands? With the architectural beauty that exists in Pullman, I can't wait to hear stories from you about your family's connection to this community. Hope to see you during my residency in Pullman and for a community casting event on Aug 13 and 14! Special thanks to Pullman Arts, the Cooperation Operation, and Mosnart for all their hard work to put this special event together! Stay tuned for more posts and details!

For more photos and information on my plaster work, visit www.earthhousestudio.com.

Cheers!
Sherri

Chloe 2015. Cast Glass 5"x 7" x 3'

 



No comments:

Post a Comment