Monday, August 8, 2016

Adventures in Casting

My architextural gears are starting to warm up, bags are packed and I am off to Chicago tomorrow! Soap, socks, clay, and tools all arranged and ready to go capture some architecture and old poetic surface. Visiting Pullman especially triggers my textural sense. Hard shadows cutting through the peeled window pane stop me in my tracks.


On my last adventure to Pullman, I did some clay pressings of old surfaces and architectural details. I used oil based clay to press into the wall and make an imprint of the detail. When I got back to my studio in Seattle, I made molds of the clay objects and cast those into plaster and wax.



Using the cast plaster "positive", I used a few tools and techniques to cast them in glass. This plaster "positive" actually became a "negative" once the glass had melted into the box mold. The plaster was removed to reveal these beautiful holographic surfaces.

 




As a maker and storyteller, casting is a way of capturing my own lifeline. This weekend, I am honored to share in a once-in-a-lifetime moment with you! Memory indeed builds the communities of today and the legacy of tomorrow. It's not too late to RSVP. Email handheldpullman@gmail.com before midnight Aug 9th to reserve your spot at the garden table!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment