Monday, August 29, 2016

Arrivals and Departures: Part One


A few thousand miles up in the air, I am departing from a great adventure to Pullman, Illinois. As my fingers tap glass, I already miss the rust. The old brick buildings, lush vines adorning alley ways, and clusters of front porch gatherings still appear in my mental mirror.
 
 
Arriving to Mosnart, the space was filled with possibility. Uncluttered, simple, and plenty of space for making and reflecting. Pacing these floors was going to be a very bright light in the film reel of life, I could feel it. When in time, could I simply go from kitchen to studio in a matter of a few steps?! Ah!! I unloaded my bags and took a few deep breaths of anticipation, thinking of all the amazing talent who came before me and the forms and ideas that surfaced from these walls.


Let's get to work! The second day began with a van ride to the superstore of mold-making materials! Dee from Pullman Arts graciously offered to give me a ride to get the largest amount of alginate ever, and we immediately struck up great conversations about plaster and life. 150 lbs of materials, here we go! 


Coordinating a community art event can be tricky. I had done a few casting sessions in Seattle, but nothing to this scale. Late night lists and a year of planning...down to this moment. My first couple days with the Pullman community and I was already amazed at the solidarity and support! The Cooperation Operation offered up their lush community gardens to host the event while the ladies from Pullman Arts graciously volunteered their time to help setup and guide participants through the mold-making and casting process. Meanwhile, JB and Amy from Mosnart were busy helping me create the bones of the space. Saw horses into tables, buckets stacked, and we were ready for a sensory takeoff!




 

 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment